• Documents required

    Documents for Australian University application

    You will need to send the following documents with your application:
    Certified copies of all your academic transcripts and/or work experience endorsed by an appropriate person, for example, school results certified by the school principal.
    If your documentation is in a language other than English, an official certified translation must be provided. There are some websites that will translate your documents for free, so it’s worth looking for one of these.

    Evidence that you meet the English language requirements (e.g. IELTS test scores).

    To study for a degree in Australia, you will need to apply for a Subclass 573 Higher Education visa – this particular visa is for students wishing to undertake a Bachelor degree, Associate Degree, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and Masters by course work. 

    This visa allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your course, and will usually expire 2 months after the end date of your course.
    From 26th April 2008, a student visa automatically gives you Permission to Work.
    You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week when your course is in session and unlimited hours when your course is not in session (i.e. during holidays).
    You cannot undertake work until you have started your course in Australia. Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 20 hours per week.
    If you are doing voluntary or unpaid work you must apply for permission to work. It is included in the limit of 20 hours per week. A week begins on a Monday and ends the following Sunday.

    Passport details
    Your visa will be linked to the passport number you used in your application. You must use the same passport to travel to and from Australia. Your passport should be valid for at least six months from the time you lodge the application.
    In order to avoid significant delays at your departure point for Australia, it is important you advise the department of new passport details before you travel to Australia.

    Application fee
    You will be charged a fee when you submit your application.
    Other costs
    There may also be other costs associated with the application, such as translating documents into English. You will also need to pay for any medical examinations. 

    If required, you may also need to provide a police check.
    Charges for obtaining police checks vary in each country. When required to obtain your own police checks, you are personally responsible for all arrangements and charges.
    You can apply for your student visa online, by mail or by courier.

  • Entry Requirements

    Entry Requirements for Australian Universities

    In order to be accepted on to a degree program, Australian universities ask international students to have qualifications that are equivalent to their Year 12 studies.

    Students are also generally required to demonstrate that their current level of English language proficiency meets the university’s minimum entry requirements.

    This is done by taking an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test - this is compulsory for international students, and you will need to do it to get your student visa, too.
    You will have to take the IELTS test before submitting your application to the university.

    Most universities will ask you to either attach a copy of your test results to your application, or arrange for the results to be sent to them directly. 

    Each university should have a web page in their section for international students that tells you the minimum IELTS and TOEFL scores required for entry on to one of their undergraduate program.
    If you can not find this information, contact the university admissions office.

    It’s also worth checking that you are not required to have completed any other prerequisite qualifications or courses, as some program may need you to have carried out some specialized training and/or education before being able to study the subject at degree level.

  • Higher Education in Australia

    Higher Education in Australia

    Higher (or tertiary) education in Australia is made up of universities and other higher education institutions known as 'higher education providers'. 

    A tertiary education institution is a body that is established or recognised by or under the law of the Commonwealth, or a State or Territory.
    The provider has to be approved by the Australian Government before it can obtain grants or its students can receive assistance from the Australian Government under the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (HESA). Providers are subject to quality and accountability requirements.

    A higher education provider is either :
    a university
    a self-accrediting provider (colleges) or
    a non self-accrediting provider.
    In 2009, the Australian higher education system consisted of:
    41 universities - 37 are public institutions, 2 are private, and 2 are Australian branches of overseas universities;
    2 other self-accrediting higher education institutions; and
    non-self-accrediting higher education providers accredited by State and Territory authorities, numbering more than 150 as listed on State and Territory registers. These include several that are registered in more than one State and Territory.
    The non-self-accrediting higher education providers form a very diverse group of specialised providers (mostly private) that vary in size. They include theological colleges and other providers that offer courses in areas such as business, information technology, hospitality, health, law and accounting.

    Group of Eight (Go8)

    The Group of Eight (Go8) is a group of eight Australian tertiary institutions that are considered the most prestigious universities in Australia.

    The Go8 is considered the Australian version of the Ivy League, made up of the most wealthy and prominent institutions in Australia.

    The members of the Go8 are:
    Bachelors degrees, generally the first university degree undertaken, which take 3–4 years to complete, consist primarily of coursework. 
    Bachelors degrees are sometimes awarded with honours to the best-performing students.
    In some programs, honours is awarded on the basis of performance throughout the course (usually those that last for 4 years or longer), but normally honours consists of undertaking a year of research (for example, a short thesis or a Masters involving research). 

    If honours is undertaken as an extra year, it is known as an honours degree rather than a degree with honours. 

    Generally, a student must be invited by the university to do Honours as an additional year of study, as opposed to being something a student can apply for. This is because most of the time it is only offered to the highest ranking students of that year group.

  • Why Study in Australia

    Why study in Australia?

    Australia has much to offer international students – here are some of the main reasons more and more undergraduates are choosing to study Down Under.

    International recognition

    A degree from an Australian university will be recognised all around the world if you choose to study here. The government regulates the higher education system in order to maintain excellent education standards.

    A rising destination

    Australia is becoming an increasingly popular destination for international students, and has the third largest international student enrolment behind the USA and the UK.

    You will find tuition fees and the cost of living in Australia much lower than in the UK and USA. This makes it more affordable for undergraduates to attend a university in Australia and sill have a very good standard of living.

    Range of courses
    There are a wide variety of undergraduate courses offered at Australian universities, so you’re bound to find something suited to you.

    Research and technology
    Australia is in the top 10 countries for government spending on research and development (0.71% of GDP), and publishes around 250,000 scientific papers in a decade. This puts it at the forefront of new technology and innovations.

    The Australian Immigration system allows students visiting the country on a student visa the opportunity to work up to 20 hours per week during term time, and during holidays students can work full time. 

    This makes it much more affordable for students who can attend university and still fund their education with a job.

© Copyright 2014 S2C Education Private Limited.